(Ping! Zine Issue 66) – Computing in the Cloud or not it is no longer a matter to be questioned. It would now be important to know: What is the right model of Cloud Computing for your particular organization? In its annual survey of executives in the technology industry, 2013 Technology Industry Business Outlook concluded that cloud computing will be one of the biggest drivers of revenue for businesses in the next three years. Also, most companies already have or are in the process of adopting the technology, while only 15% do not have or do not plan to use it in the short or medium term.
Cloud computing has different options. There are public clouds, private and hybrid. So what are the advantages of each type of cloud and how you can decide what would be the best for your company?. Besides the size of your organization, there are other factors that determine a wise decision, among the most important is the level of security and control required and the type of industry to which it belongs.
These are some of the characteristics of each scheme.
The public cloud is a set of services, applications, and infrastructure computing networks supplied by a provider through the Internet. Its popularity is due to the setup is quick and easy, as hardware, applications and bandwidth are provided by the same supplier. Many companies offer these clouds with the business model of pay per use for companies and end users.
Its main advantage is the economy of scales since the expenses are shared among all users, similar to the electric company in which each user pays for what they consume. Another important advantage is the ability to scale computing capacity to the particular needs, and of course, the process is transparent to the user.
The public cloud is the best choice for your company if:
- The applications are used by many people from different types of devices. For example, email.
- Requires an additional computing capacity to cover demand in times of higher utilization.
- Need an environment where I can develop and test applications quickly
- Collaborate on projects with other companies.
As its name implies, the private cloud functionality replica public but is for the exclusive use of a single organization. This allows the business cloud storage cloud applications, while offering a high level of control and security, but obviously requires more capital investment. Private clouds can be managed and physically located within the organization or can be administered by a third party.
You should opt for a private cloud if:
- The control and security of their critical applications and data.
- Your business is engaged in an industry with strict safety laws and data privacy, for example, health care.
- Want more control, performance, and at the same time enjoy the benefits of the cloud.
- Your company has the resources to manage a private cloud efficiently.
Finally hybrid clouds combine two or more clouds (public and private) from multiple vendors, but remain as separate entities join to take advantage of each scheme. For example, in a hybrid cloud can use public cloud resources to increase the processing capacity of its private cloud peaking bandwidth consumption without the capital investment that would entail. The biggest challenge of these clouds is to unify security and ensure that all vendors can communicate with each other.
When to elect Hybrid Cloud:
- Use the public cloud for customers external information technology and privacy for inmates.
- Your company provides services to different markets. You can use a public cloud to interact with users while keeping your data safe in your private cloud.
- Need to increase the capacity of a private cloud but do not want or have the capital available for infrastructure.
- You want to use a SaaS application, Software as a Service, as a service for your company in the public cloud, but are concerned about security. The application vendor can create a private cloud exclusively for your company within your firewall.
Writer’s Bio : Asher ross is an expert technical writer from UK web hosting company eUkhost LTD. eUkhost has completed 11 successful years in Web hosting industry and specialized in deploying Cloud hosting solutions, Dedicated hosting and many more with free tech support and complete web hosting satisfaction.