(Ping! Zine Web Hosting Magazine) – More than 1.6 million new malware signatures are identified each month according to research from independent research institute, AV Test and traditional approaches to endpoint security can no longer keep up. In a virtual environment the risks are equally as great and traditional security approaches can lead to agent proliferation that seriously impacts manageability and performance. Agent-less application control allows virtual datacenters to take a proactive stance in securing against rising stealth and zero-day attacks and minimizes agent proliferation, preserving performance and simplifying system management.
To deliver improved security in virtualized environments, Lumension®, a global leader in endpoint management and security will integrate their industry-leading application whitelisting technology with the VMware vShield™ Endpoint security solution and its associated EPSEC application programming interface (API.) Lumension will be demonstrating this recent innovation at VMworld® 2011 in the Lumension booth, #353.
“VMware vShield™ Endpoint and the EPSEC API will provide a platform on which our partners can build innovative security solutions to address the rapidly changing security landscape,” said Parag Patel, Vice President, Global Strategic Alliances, VMware. “Lumension’s integration of advanced whitelisting capabilities with VMware vShield Endpoint via the EPSEC API is an exciting example of this type of innovation.”
Lumension Application Control is a technology that defines and ensures only the use of trusted applications in an endpoint environment definition. When combined with VMware vShield Endpoint, it will deliver agent-less protection that defines the trusted applications and eliminates the need to deploy and manage an additional agent on each virtual machine and avoids the associated performance impact. This transparent, always-on protection will not only address “stealthware”, it will also protect virtual machines where antivirus is uninstalled, lacking the latest updates, or malfunctioning. Un-patched virtual machines will also be automatically protected.
“Our customers have challenged us to combine the power of whitelisting with the benefits of virtual environments,” said Mike Wittig Lumension President/CTO. “By integrating with VMware vShield™ Endpoint, we are responding with a technology that is truly synergistic. This will advance IT security beyond what can be achieved in purely physical environments.”
At VMworld® 2011 Las Vegas, Lumension will showcase the innovative use of Lumension Application Control to secure and manage VMware software-based virtual environments. Leveraging VMware vShield EPSEC API, Lumension Application Control will deliver the following benefits within a VMware virtual environment:
- Leverage the Power of Hypervisor Introspection – Lumension Application Control integrated with VMware vShield EPSEC API will provide visibility into application events via the hypervisor, enabling essential application control capabilities without deployment of a policy enforcement agent.
- Improved Consolidation Ratios and Performance – Operational efficiencies are gained by reducing security agent overhead and the aggregate security load on host systems.
- Simplified Application Control Management – Lumension integration with VMware vCenter™ Server will simplify the management of application control policy and enforcement across all guest virtual machines immediately improving security across the entire virtual environment.
- Continuous Endpoint Protection – Immediately protect new virtual machines coming online with malfunctioning or off-line agents. Effectively prevent the installation and use of unauthorized software and the introduction and execution of malicious code.
- Protection Against Zero-Day Attacks – Automatically block zero-day attacks by default, without waiting for an anti-virus and or patch content to be developed and provided.
- Reduced Local Admin Account Risk – Ensures standardized system configurations by enforcing policies that enable only trusted and authorized applications to run – without taking away local admin rights.
- Increased Performance and Reduced TCO – Improve the stability and performance of the virtual environment and lessen operational support costs. This is accomplished by leveraging VMware vShield and reducing many duplicate functions.
To offer this new technology, Lumension has joined the VMware Technology Alliance Partner (TAP) Program at the “Elite” level.
“The VMware TAP program continues to facilitate creative and important customer solutions from the VMware partner ecosystem,” said Parag Patel, Vice President, Global Strategic Alliances, VMware. “We are excited to have Lumension join the TAP program and add their security leadership and expertise to the growing VMware partner community.”
Lumension Security, Inc., a global leader in endpoint management and security, develops, integrates and markets security software solutions that help businesses protect their vital information and manage critical risk across network and endpoint assets. Lumension enables more than 5,100 customers worldwide to achieve optimal security and IT success by delivering a proven and award-winning solution portfolio that includes Vulnerability Management, Endpoint Protection, Data Protection, Antivirus and Reporting and Compliance offerings. Lumension is known for providing world-class customer support and services 24×7, 365 days a year. Headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, Lumension has operations worldwide, including Virginia, Texas, Utah, Florida, Ireland, Luxembourg, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Singapore. Lumension: IT Secured. Success Optimized.™ More information can be found at lumension.com.
VMware, VMware vCenter, VMware vShield and VMworld are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
For more information on Lumension, please visit: http://www.lumension.com/