(Ping! Zine Web Hosting Magazine) – Origin Storage, a leading manufacturer and distributor of IT storage solutions, has today announced the launch of Enigma FIPS which incorporates the Seagate Momentus ® Self-Encrypting Drive which has recently secured FIPS 140-2 certification from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). The Momentus drive provides hardware-based encryption without performance degradation. The FIPS 140-2 solution is the latest in the Enigma range to provide organisations of all sizes with a quick and cost effective way to secure laptops using the highest levels of hardware encryption. FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards) certification AES compliant devices can be utilised by government agencies or departments for the purpose of protecting sensitive data. The Prices of the Enigma FIPS drives start at USD $398.
With remote working becoming an important part of modern day corporate environments, organisations are more likely to issue laptops over standard desktop PCs. This means they are risking the security of sensitive and confidential information as it leaves the physical confines of the traditional office environment. Origin Storage’s launch of Enigma FIPS can put corporate minds at ease, offering the highest levels of security and a competitive price.
Andy Cordial, MD of Origin Storage said: “The addition of the Seagate FIPS drive to the Enigma solution will open up cost effective encryption to new markets that need the FIPS kite mark. During the past twelve months we have experienced an increase in demand for FIPS approved products and no doubt this will continue to rise as portable storage encryption is on the increase. Data loss is still very evident with two recent notebook robberies making the news last week and countless other data loss/thefts happening on a daily basis and encryption is the only solution to protect portable data.”
“FIPS 140-2 certification security standard enables the widespread adoption of encrypting hard drives for laptops and other computers as the explosive growth of laptop PCs puts more sensitive personal and business information at risk, Cordial said: “Certification gives end-user customers the peace of mind that Momentus ® Self-Encrypting Drives delivers the full power of government-grade security.”
Enigma FIPS is a compatible upgrade with all PC based SATA notebooks designed specifically for the corporate and SME market. Each Enigma hard drive is supplied with the correct fitting kit, pre-mounted and ready to fit straight into the laptop. Developed by WinMagic, MySecureDoc Express has a Pre-Boot Authentication system that allows the user to authenticate using a password. This removes the need for the drive to rely on the laptop’s BIOS, making it possible to upgrade SATA based systems to an Enigma SED.
Seagate’s FIPS 140 compliant drive and WinMagic’s MySecureDoc Express self-encrypting drive (SED) management software combine to provide the complete solution for customers that want to upgrade their existing computing systems with the latest government approved encryption technology to protect their sensitive data.
The Enigma FIPS solution also includes a data transfer cable and Acronis hard drive cloning software, providing a quick and simple way to move existing data from the laptops non-encrypted hard drive to the fully encrypted Enigma solution. Using a high speed USB2 or eSATA connection a full mirror image clone of the existing drive including the Operating System, Applications and all user data is made which limits the downtime required to upgrade the mobile worker’s laptop.
• FIPS 140-2 validated (Level 2)
• Supports Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)
• No BIOS Limitations
• Password Pre-Boot Authentication
• 100% Compatible Matched Solution
• Fits PC Based SATA Laptops
• Tamper evident coatings
• Transfer Existing Data With Ease
• No Speed Degradation
• Capacities Up To 500GB and Rising
• Government security standard achieved
• Always On Entire Disk Encryption Protects All Data On The Drive
• On The Fly Hardware Encryption Means No Additional System Resource Usage
• Local administrative role manageability
• Self-help password recovery options
• Activation of drive into encrypted state is instantaneous versus the unavoidable “conversion” time needed with standard hard drives
• Data encryption key does not leave the drive, hence helps prevent cooled-RAM attack and simplifies key management
• Read Only PBA ( Pre-Boot Authentication) area supports password authentication using drive’s secure partition
• Crypto erase enables instant secure disposal and repurposing of self encrypting-drive, rendering all existing data unintelligible, and returning it to manufactured state
• Complete Matched Solution Makes Fitting Quick And Provides 100% Compatibility
• Included Transfer Kit Clones Existing data Via USB2 or eSATA To Minimise Downtime