(Ping! Zine Web Hosting Magazine) – Percona, the company that delivers enterprise-class MySQL® and MongoDB® solutions and services, today announced its acquisition of Tokutek. Known as a premier high-performance database company, Tokutek has delivered Big Data processing power across two of the most important Open Source data management platforms, MySQL and MongoDB. The acquisition, which includes the Tokutek distribution of MongoDB, called TokuMX™, positions Percona to offer design, service, support and remote management for both MySQL and a market-leading, ACID-compliant NoSQL database from one of the most trusted companies in the industry.
The acquisition also makes Percona the owner of revolutionary Fractal Tree® indexing, as well as the exclusive global licensee of technology developed by MIT, Stony Brook, and Rutgers Universities and incorporated into Fractal Tree indexing by Tokutek. Fractal Tree indexing will enable Percona to greatly improve database performance and storage compression across its MySQL and NoSQL product lines while lowering total cost of ownership for its customers.
The amount of data that companies generate and store continues to accelerate, and the demand to take optimal advantage of this data continues to mount. As a result, organizations of every size and in every industry are looking for flexibility, choice, reliability, and affordability when it comes to the databases they standardize on. The combination of an ACID-compliant, high-performance NoSQL database and Percona’s affordable and highly reliable MySQL solutions makes life simpler for database designers and administrators who can now turn to just one expert, highly trusted service provider for all their database design, support and operational needs.
As more and more customers see the need to use both MySQL and MongoDB, having a trusted advisor who can not only develop, service and support both technologies, but also help ensure their compatibility is a critical step forward for the market. As a top-performing MongoDB solution, Percona’s TokuMX will provide MongoDB users with a well-known and trusted alternative to existing providers. In addition, existing TokuMX users will now have access to better support options through Percona’s 24x7x365 support offerings.
Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
- The acquisition of Tokutek, which was completed on April 7, 2015, includes TokuMX, a market-leading, ACID-compliant NoSQL database. The acquisition also makes Percona the exclusive global licensee of the patented Fractal Tree® indexing technology.
- TokuMX, a fully functional transactional, document (row) level locking NoSQL derivative of MongoDB, will now be serviced, supported and remotely managed by Percona’s industry leading staff of experts. TokuMX offers all the ease-of-use and flexibility benefits of MongoDB but addresses the well-known issues around default transactional consistency, concurrency, space and memory consumption, and performance under load.
- With the combined solution, Percona now provides enhanced drop-in replacements for MySQL and MongoDB, enabling customers to improve the performance and reliability of their business-critical databases without any significant modifications to their applications.
- In late 2014 Percona benchmarked TokuDB®, the storage engine component for MySQL. Impressed by performance gains related to storage capacity and read/write access, Percona made TokuDB available to its customers. On the basis of this partnership, Percona began evaluating Tokutek as a potential means to accelerate the company’s strategy of broadening its database solutions and services.
- Incorporating technology developed by MIT, Stony Brook, and Rutgers Universities, Fractal Tree indexing offers a profound breakthrough in storage compression and read/write performance by replacing the standard method of B-tree indexing, the legacy code dating all the way back to the 1970s which is still used in virtually all database management systems. Through the use of Fractal Tree indexing, databases can see dramatically improved performance (50x), reduced database size (90 percent), and increased operational efficiency without a need for significant application changes.
Peter Zaitsev, Co-founder and CEO of Percona, Inc.
“This acquisition delivers game-changing advantages to our customers. By adding a market-leading, ACID-compliant NoSQL data management option to our product line, customers finally have the opportunity to simplify their database decisions and on-going support relationships by relying on just one proven, expert provider for all their database design, service, management, and support needs.”
John Partridge, President and CEO of Tokutek
“Percona has a well-earned reputation for expert database consulting services and support. With the Tokutek acquisition, Percona is uniquely positioned to offer NoSQL and NewSQL software solutions backed by unparalleled services and support. We are excited to know Tokutek customers can look forward to leveraging Percona services and support in their TokuMX and TokuDB deployments.”
Matt Aslett, Research Director, Data Platforms and Analytics, 451 Research
“Percona’s acquisition of Tokutek builds on the company’s existing expertise in high-performance database workloads and also continues the company’s expansion into the wider database market. Percona was already a reseller of the TokuDB storage engine for MySQL (including MariaDB and Percona Server) but has now also entered the NoSQL market by adding the TokuMX distribution of MongoDB. The acquisition is also good news for existing Tokutek customers, who can now take advantage of expanded support from Percona.”
With more than 3,000 customers worldwide, Percona is the only company that delivers enterprise-class solutions for both MySQL and MongoDB across traditional and cloud-based platforms. The company provides Software, Support, Consulting, and Managed Services to some of the largest and most well-known brands on the Internet such as Cisco Systems, Time Warner Cable, Alcatel-Lucent, Groupon, and the BBC, as well as to many smaller companies looking to maximize application performance while streamlining database efficiencies. Well established as thought leaders, Percona experts author content for the Percona Performance Blog, which draws over 250,000 visitors a month. The popular Percona Live conferencesdraw attendees and acclaimed speakers from around the world. For more information, visit www.percona.com.