(Ping! Zine Web Tech Magazine) – Websites are no longer considered a simple business tactic, but rather a staple. Having an impressive, professional online presence holds significant value and many SMBs rely on Web developers to help create and execute such a representation. It is rare that Web developers create a website from scratch but rather rely on free content management or ecommerce software as a starting point. The challenge for developers, however, is the limited options they are given for maintaining the apps after the initial installation. 1&1 Internet recognized this opportunity in the market as an opportunity to expand its Web hosting platform, greatly optimizing the implementation of websites that use popular open-source applications. Furthermore, users can choose from two different types of installations offering different levels of flexibility and control. These two installation modes are: “Free Mode” and “Safe Mode.”
– Best User: Safe Mode is ideal for the user that wants a Web hosting solution geared towards security and convenience as well as the user who is less experienced in working within open-source applications.
– Customization: Customization is most certainly possible within this mode though it does not have as high of a level of freedom as Free Mode. Because 1&1 manages the platform for the user, there are some restrictions and limitations to coding in order to enable delivery of necessary security updates. Nevertheless, the apps contain a variety of plug-ins and themes to choose from including options for mobility and security.
– Type of Installation: Quick and easy installation can be completed within just a few clicks via a guided installation wizard.
– Benefits: This method offers the convenience of a fully managed platform which is secured by 1&1’s experienced technicians. Important routine updates to software and security are no longer a concern for this developer, so they can better focus their time on important projects.
– Best User: The experienced Web developer who is working on specific, fully-customized projects will see the most value in a Free Mode installation method which is quick and simple.
– Customization: Free Mode is fully customizable. With this option, users have complete freedom and control to code their own plugins in order to make the website fully unique.
– Type of Installation: Installation can be completed quickly via an installation wizard that gathers information like username, etc. The installation is identical to what the user could achieve by installing directly into their own webspace. However, it is important to know that performing maintenance and updating versions must be conducted by the user – They are responsible for all updates to applications as well as security.
– Benefits: The ability for developers to adapt their applications with outside, self-made plug-ins, themes or code is all possible with this installation method. Additionally, users will benefit from the quick application installation process.
Through 1&1, customers can take advantage of the Apps Center which offers tips and tricks from the company’s application experts. A library of best practice, pre-installed themes and plugins for 1&1’s top five applications (WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal, Typo3 and Magento) delivers immediate solutions for enhancing mobile view, security and performance. Furthermore, users are offered over 100 1&1 Web Apps for easy integration of HTML code snippets. 1&1 Web Apps make online sharing of social media, communication, presentations and multi-media seamless while allowing professionals to adjust and customize the appearance of the apps.
As a developer, Web hosting projects are constantly evolving and developers need a package that can easily adapt to meet their needs at any time. Novices exploring the world of Web development will want to learn and grow with a content management system or e-commerce application that allows them creative freedom. This will allow them to comfortably and fully develop their expertise in managing their website. 1&1 keeps this in mind by allowing users to easily switch from Safe to Free Mode at any time.
For more information about 1&1’s Web hosting and App Center, visit: www.1and1.com/web-hosting.
As a manager for 1&1 Internet, Inc., Kelly Meeneghan is an industry specialist providing expert advice on how SMBs can grow their business online through websites and online marketing methods. 1&1, a global leader among Web hosts, provides companies with the tools necessary to get online and be successful. For more information visit www.1and1.com or learn about how you can drive success for your business at www.success.1and1.com.
1&1 Internet Inc., a global leader among Web hosts, provides companies with the tools necessary to get online and be successful. For more useful tips on how you can drive success for your business via your website or online marketing methods, visit success.1and1.com.